Sunday 17 April 2011

The Personification of a Childhood Friend

It was a bland day, I was alone in the house I grew up in. Just me, Jeremy Kyle and a pack of Hobnobs. I decided that It would be a good idea to climb up into the attic and have a rummage around some old things from mine and my siblings childhood. As I climbed through the square panel into the cold abyss that is the roof of my house, I find a bag full of stuffed toys.

Now at this point I think nothing of it, but a strange voice at the back of my head tells me to look a bit further into the contents of the bag. What I found can only be described as a wave of memories and emotions. The toys were full of dust and musky. This left me with only one possible thing to do:

Photograph, it's what I do.

I decided to photograph against a white background as to remove any connotation that I may accidentally add myself. The results were, to my surprise, not as bland as expected, well actually a lot of them were but two particularly stood out.



The first because of its rigidity, and the almost human like expression to its gaze at the camera. The second because it completely sum's up what this whole blog is about. It effectively show the deterioration and soiling of memories over time (this was actually done by a mouse). I also enjoy the stark contrast between the child-friendly smile and the sheer destruction of the toy's arm.

I severely doubt I will be revisiting this idea (it stank and I inhaled enough dust for a year doing it) so enjoy the visual poetry.

Follow me on twitter @tafmasendu